Thursday 31 July 2008

the language of stories

Further to my enthusiastic outpouring about Kneehigh Theatre (previous post), I was struck by these words in the programme to their show:


'In the language of stories, we are able to examine the bargains that human beings make. We see how we bargain our own needs, the needs of the self, for various reasons.....'


Now I don't know about you, but I had to stop reading at this point because statements like this light up a whole set of neurons in my brain and set me off thinking about stories and why we need them and the shared human experiences that are at their heart. It's like being given a key to story writing - a way of accessing a whole set of story ideas, by thinking about how and why we bargain our own needs and how we deal with the consequences. I feel an ideas list fizzing up......

No comments: